I’ve had some free time at work lately and as I don’t like to just sit and do nothing, I was coding this little html5 game. We, with colleges got the idea of making our own bomberman a while ago. Main idea was to make a multiplayer version out of it using html5 and nodejs. This idea sat in my mind for
So the booman is basically bomberman, just in html5 + jquery. It’s still a single player game and isn’t as good as I’d like it to be, but it’s working.
Little about it:
- ~750 lines of js
- took me around 2 weeks, after the work development time to create
- everything is written in OOP style, so all the things are objects which have their own properties and methods
- Game update and draw functions are called every 50ms
- Input is handled using queue system. All keystrokes are put into an queue which is handled on the game update. This should give pretty responsive gameplay.
- Sprites are drawn using jCanvas. Source images are .png (I know it’s bad, but I needed the alpha channel)
- It has no levels, so after blowing all the blocks up there is nothing else to do.
- It’s missing sprite pre-loading, so you might see some flickering with the images.
- It is possible that you spawn on a wall and cannot move, either blow yourself up with the wall or just refresh to get new map
All the credits for tiles and the character go to Klex1992 on rpgmakervx.net